Tuesday, April 29, 2014

The 2nd Best High Schooler in all of Kitgum


“When IGF opened a school in Amida, my life changed. My parents are only peasant farmers, and they could not afford to take care of their 8 children – 2 boys and 6 girls – when the war destroyed their land and put them into refugee camps. In Acholi culture, the last born is especially cared for and I was the last born, so my parents wanted to provide for me but couldn’t. So when Mama Irene opened a free school for needy children, I was able to achieve my dreams of getting an education. I was enrolled in Amida school and focused on my studies with my family behind me. My other brothers and sisters were older than me and missed their chance at school, so the hopes of the family were put onto me.

I focused on my studies and made sure I took extra time in subjects I struggled in. I stayed after class to consult with teachers, and left home at 5am to have extra time to study. When I reached home, I tried to study as much as I could before the sun went down and I had no light to read. When the last year of primary school came, I sat for my national exams, praying that all of my hard work would pay off. I achieved the highest grade at Amida school, and Irene came to my rescue again to sponsor me on to high school.

Last year, I finished my 4th year of high school and sat for another important exam. My hard work and study habits yielded results again, but this time I was the second best – in all of Kitgum. This year, because of my strong results, IGF will sponsor me on for further studies at one of the top schools in Gulu. I want to become a doctor and study medicine. I see the needs of the community and I want to give my life to improve their health and allow them to live full lives. After I finish my studies, I look forward to working with IGF’s health program to improve the quality of life of children in my community. I also want to pay back my family for all the support they have given me by supporting them and lifting them up to another level.

I want to give my deepest thanks to IGF sponsorship – without sponsorship, I would not have made it. Your support has changed my life.” -Richard Okello

Richard at home with his parents!  

No comments:

Post a Comment